Ambala Cantt Punjab
Sanatan Dharma College Punjab University
8-Safdarjung Lane New Delhi - 110 011
Shri Hardev Sharma
Shrimati Laxmi Devi
Shri Swaraj Kaushal
Shri Swaraj Kaushal
Vidisha Madhya Pradesh
Bharatiya Janata Party
Swaraj started her political career with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad in the 1970s
After emergency she joined Bharatiya Janata Party
Later she became a national leader of BJP
She became a member of the Haryana Legislative Assembly from 1977 to 1982
Obtaining the Ambala Cantonment assembly seat at the age of 25 and then again from 1987 to 1990
In July 1977 she was sworn in as a Cabinet Minister in the Janata Party Government headed by then Chief Minister Chaudhary Devi Lal
She became State President of Janata Party (Haryana) in 1979 when she was 27 years old
She was Education Minister of Haryana state in the Bharatiya Janata Party–Lok Dal coalition government during the period of 1987 to 1990
In April 1990 she was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha and remained there until she was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from South Delhi constituency in 1996
she became the first female chief minister of Delhi
She was the Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting
a position she held from September 2000 until January 2003
She became the Minister of Health
Family Welfare and Parliamentary Affairs from January 2003 until May 2004
She served as the Deputy leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha until April 2009
She won the 2009 election for the 15th Lok Sabha from the Vidisha Lok Sabha constituency in Madhya Pradesh by the highest margin of over 400
000 ballots. Sushma Swaraj became Leader of Opposition in the 15th Lok Sabha in place of Lal Krishna Advani
Swaraj has been serving as the Indian External Affairs Minister under Prime Minister Narendra Modi since May 2014.
1. In the early 1970s, while Sushma Swaraj was studying at Panjab University, she had joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) – the student wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Chandigarh. Her father Swaraj Hardev Sharma was also an RSS member.
2. When Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had contested for the post of President of the Delhi University (DU) Students’ Union, Sushma Swaraj campaigned for him.
3. Sushma was the youngest Cabinet Minister of a state at the age of 25 after joining the Janata Party. She became the only female MP of Parliament to receive the ‘Outstanding Parliamentarian Award’ for her contribution to Indian politics till date.
4. Husband of Sushma Swaraj Swaraj Kaushal and she were adjudged as the youngest ever achievers till date in their respective fields in the country by the Limca Book of Records.
5. In 1973, she started practicing as an advocate in the Supreme Court of India. And, she became the first woman chief minister of the state of Delhi.